Though every tournament featuring top professional tennis players is special, a couple here in the USA stand out above all the others. Based on things like geographical climate, facilities, and magnitude of the occasion, here is a list of the top 4 tennis tournaments in the United States:
4. Western & Southern Open – Cincinnati, Ohio – This tournament has been around since 1899 and serves as a prelude to the US Open, which is held several weeks later. It joins together all of the top stars and features 4 permanent tennis stadiums, more than any other non-Grand Slam location. Capturing the beautiful Midwestern summer weather, the Western & Southern Open is the perfect tennis competition at a great price!
3. Miami Open – Key Biscayne, Florida – Held during the early springtime in South Florida, the Miami Masters enables fans to enjoy the comfortable tropical climate before the humidity of summer. Ideal conditions combine with tennis’ biggest stars in one of the most cultured cities in America. Beaches, shopping, renowned restaurants, and hopping nightclubs are just minutes away, though the world-class tennis does draw most of the attention. Relatively young entering its 30th edition in 2015, the Miami Open has taken the sport to new heights, becoming the first tournament to utilize replay technology in 2006.
2. BNP Paribas Open – Indian Wells, California – Another springtime event, the desert setting practically guarantees sunny skies and warm temperatures for this American tennis tournament. Though it began in 1974, the BNP Paribas was revolutionized in 2000 with the construction of the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. The state of the art facilities now house the world’s second largest tennis arena and offer a serene setting for a fantastic tournament.
1. US Open – Flushing Meadows, New York – There is nothing quite like the feel of a tennis Grand Slam, and that’s what makes the US Open rank as our top USA tournament. Held at the USTA Billie Jean National Tennis Center featuring the mammoth-sized 22,000 seat Arthur Ashe stadium, the US Open has played host to some of tennis’ most historic moments. As the final major tournament each year, it also brings a sense of closure for the top stars seeking to claim a Grand Slam. With New York City as its backdrop, the US Open should be on every tennis fan’s bucket list!
Tickets to these and other pro tennis tournaments can be found here.
Latest posts by Juliana Hughes (see all)
- Australian Open: Memorable Moments from the 2015 Grand Slam - September 28, 2015
- What’s at Stake for Top Players at the 2015 US Open? - August 10, 2015
- 10 Tips To Know Before Attending the US Open Tennis Championship - August 5, 2015