As the fall weather begins to sweep in with the cold understanding that the tennis season has no more Grand Slam tournaments to offer us this year, focus will shift to the ATP World Tour Finals, which will bring the 2014 ATP season to a close. Here are 5 things you should know about this exciting tennis event:
1. When are the ATP Tour Finals? – This year, the matches will be played November 9-16. This will occur following the final ATP Tour event, the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris, which could decide several players’ fates. The ATP Finals will be the last tournament of the year, and the final chance for the players to prove their worth on the court. The matches occur later in the day with afternoon and evening sessions, and they take on an under-the-lights aura at the O2 Arena.
2. Where is the tournament? – Held in London, England, the location simply couldn’t be better. Full of history, several prominent soccer clubs, and culture that oozes from the pubs out onto the street corners, London is one of the world’s great cities. While the November weather will be chilly and possibly wet, rest easy knowing that the games will be played indoors in a climate-controlled environment.
3. Which players are involved? – The ATP Tour Finals bring only the top 8 ranked Men’s singles tennis players and the 8 best doubles teams for this prestigious event. Thus, qualifying alone takes on important significance. So far this year, only Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal have been penciled in, though we can expect several more prominent players to be involved as well. Watch the upcoming events on the tour to see who makes the grade!
4. What makes this event so unique? – The format is quite different from most knockout style tournaments. Players are divided into two groups of 4, and all they play one another in a round-robin style during the group stage. The top two players in each group then progress to the semifinals, before a final match determines the ATP World Tour champion.
5. How can I get tickets to the ATP World Tour Finals? – The best manner in which to procure tickets to this tournament is through Championship Tennis Tours, which offers individual tickets as well as complete packages featuring hotel room and tickets to a London theater show! This is a great way in which to enjoy the charming city of London during one of tennis’ most fantastic tournaments.
Latest posts by Nicholas Spiller (see all)
- Drama, Upsets, and Excitement at the 2016 US Open - September 6, 2016
- Andy Murray’s Olympic Gold Medal Proves He’s Ready to Contend with Novak Djokovic Again - August 15, 2016
- Wimbledon 2016 Hits Full Swing - June 30, 2016