ESPN’s 2013 Wimbledon Day One Open coverage shows the splendor and enthusiasm of the world-famous Grand Slam tournament and its rich culture. A must-see video!
2. Shock of the day! Rafa Nadal eliminated from #Wimbledon in the very first round by Steve Darcis who defeated the French Open champ by 7-6, 7-6, 6-4.
3. Victoria Azarenka is a trooper! She survives nasty slid on grass courts, Day 1 – Wimbledon.
Azarenka has 48 hours to recover before her next match.
4. Federer breezes through Wimbledon’s first round by defeating Victor Hanescu in just three sets to nothing. Impressive!
5. Last year, Andy Murray had one of the best years of his life when he dominated in the 2012 Olympics to take home the men’s singles gold medal on the grassy courts of Wimbledon. Today, he walks off center court as the most successful British player in Slam history with 107 match wins. His ultimate goal this year, however, is to become the first British winner since 1936 to take home the Wimbledon title. The changes are high, and the competition is fierce!
6. Rafa Nadal wasn’t the only fifth seeded player to have a shocking exit at Wimbledon today. Italy’s Sara Errani was ousted by 19 year old Puerto Rican Monica Puig, losing in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. This is the first time since 2008 that Errani will not advance to the second round at Wimbledon.
7. Maria Sharapova overcomes a tough battle in Wimbledon’s first round match against Kristina Mladenovic 7-6, 6-3. Masha moves on to the second round!
Latest posts by Juliana Hughes (see all)
- Australian Open: Memorable Moments from the 2015 Grand Slam - September 28, 2015
- What’s at Stake for Top Players at the 2015 US Open? - August 10, 2015
- 10 Tips Before Attending the 2017 US Open - August 5, 2015